Music video or short film? (13)

Which are you doing and why?

For my A2 coursework I plan to create a music video rather than create a short film. After looking at the advantages and disadvantages of both I have decided that it will be easier to create a music video rather then create a short film.  


Music video


Advantages of a music video:

-The length of the video wont be too long as songs are typically between three and five minuets.
-I wont have to worry about sound and dialogue as the song I choose will be the main aspect of the video and the only sound coming from it.
-It will be quite easy to come up with a story line to fit the song as I will be able to use the lyrics and the meaning behind them to form a plot for the music video. 

Disadvantages of a music video: 

-Restricted to the length of the song 
-You have to make the plot clear as their wont be any dialogue to explain to the viewer what is going on.
-If you include lip syncing then you will need to make sure that it fits in time with the song and isn't too fast or slow.
-The storyline will have to fit with the song e.i you can't have a really sad and emotional story to and upbeat and positive song. 

Short film


Advantages of a short film:

-You don't have the length restriction like you do with a music video
-You can be more creative as the narrative as you aren't working within the boundaries of a song

Disadvantages of a short film

-You have the issue of making sure the audio is understandable.
-It might be hard to keep the short film under the maximum length limitation
-It could be harder to come up with a storyline as you don't have the prompt like you get when you do a music video with a song. 

I also feel it will be easier to do a music video considering I will be working alone for my A2 coursework. It will be easier for me to come up with a storyline with the prompt from the song and the lyrics. By doing a music video I also wont have to worry about the audio while filming as I wont be including any dialogue. I personally prefer music videos over short films and especially like it when the video and the music fit together to create a moving and emotional video. 




~Kat

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Audience Research (23)

Practise task explained (1)

Evaluation question 2