Music video or short film? (13)

Which are you doing and why?

For my A2 coursework I plan to create a music video rather than create a short film. After looking at the advantages and disadvantages of both I have decided that it will be easier to create a music video rather then create a short film.  


Music video


Advantages of a music video:

-The length of the video wont be too long as songs are typically between three and five minuets.
-I wont have to worry about sound and dialogue as the song I choose will be the main aspect of the video and the only sound coming from it.
-It will be quite easy to come up with a story line to fit the song as I will be able to use the lyrics and the meaning behind them to form a plot for the music video. 

Disadvantages of a music video: 

-Restricted to the length of the song 
-You have to make the plot clear as their wont be any dialogue to explain to the viewer what is going on.
-If you include lip syncing then you will need to make sure that it fits in time with the song and isn't too fast or slow.
-The storyline will have to fit with the song e.i you can't have a really sad and emotional story to and upbeat and positive song. 

Short film


Advantages of a short film:

-You don't have the length restriction like you do with a music video
-You can be more creative as the narrative as you aren't working within the boundaries of a song

Disadvantages of a short film

-You have the issue of making sure the audio is understandable.
-It might be hard to keep the short film under the maximum length limitation
-It could be harder to come up with a storyline as you don't have the prompt like you get when you do a music video with a song. 

I also feel it will be easier to do a music video considering I will be working alone for my A2 coursework. It will be easier for me to come up with a storyline with the prompt from the song and the lyrics. By doing a music video I also wont have to worry about the audio while filming as I wont be including any dialogue. I personally prefer music videos over short films and especially like it when the video and the music fit together to create a moving and emotional video. 




~Kat

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Independent study into an existing short film or music video director (21)

Research of student made music videos (3)

'Dragons Den' Pitch planning (18)